Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Well, here I am, in a strange new world. What fun I shall have exploring.

I spent some time in college on an internship in our state capital. I discovered that I had more in common with the philosophical leanings of Republicans than with Democrats. I also discovered that there were Democrats who were more conservative than some Republicans, so much so in fact that on an individual level party affiliation means very little. I have spent the intervening years watching politics and the political process, and after many discussions with B she decided that I should explore and expound upon what my views are and invite others to share their thoughts and experiences.

I believe that every one is and should be responsible for their own actions and the fruits or consequences thereof. I believe the Constitution rightfully limited the powers of the Federal Government. I believe that the Republican establishment has sold it soul to the fanatic far right and I believe that the Democrats have sold their soul to the lunatic far left.

There are so many things to discuss. Shall we begin?

3 comments:

Critchlow said...

Oh, yes...let us get started. You create the topic and we will gladly post comments.

Looking forward to insights and opinions.

Critchlow said...

Hey- it's me again. Just thought I would get your take on the media in politics. Do the reporters create fanfair or are they just reporting the news?

Examples:
1. Reporting Clinton's use of the word "fairy tale" as racial.
2. The recent spat with an associated press member and Bill Clinton.
3. The recent spat with Mit Romney and an associated press memeber.

Who is the egg and who is the chicken?

The Repelican said...

Having some experience with journalism majors in college it is my perspective that they are taught to muck-rake. The old addage "If it bleeds it leads!" is quite true. The media is not about news it is about making money. Unfortunately good news doesn't sell. So, if there is no controversy they are conditioned from an early stage of their education to create controversy. They think they are digging for a scoop when they are just muck-raking.

The mainstream media is no longer objectively reporting the news, NBC recently admitted that it is "hard" to stay objective when covering Obama. Yes, it must be hard to remain objective when polls of reporters after the last election showed that 9 out of 10 mainstream reporters voted Democratic.

The mainstream media is no longer just reporting the news they have become part of the show. The are a biased business focused on the bottom line of ratings and money and if they cannot find news they create it.